Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Another Pony To Feed?

About 2-1/2 years ago, I started a project on my 1984 Bronco II. The project involved buying a 1977 Ford Granada, extracting it's V8 engine and transmission and installing them in the Bronco II. At the risk of being smug, the Bronco project has been extremely successful and resulted in a vehicle with much more power, a lot more fun to drive and a very clean installation. The total conversion required lots of planning and problem solving, much like my years of working. This project was documented starting in Oct 2010 by this post, Great Bronco Engine Transplant and continues on with many posts for over a year while the conversion was taking place and other upgrades were being accomplished. It will never be completed!

Following the success of the Bronco(it will never be finished) I have been looking for another project to start on. One thought is to find a mid 80's or newer Mustang to work on. Hopefully this would be a drivable vehicle that I could pick at slowly to restore or modify. I have been searching Craigslist and other places. Most of what I found were very expensive ones or Mustangs that were not running and parked in a field somewhere(slight exaggeration).

Last Friday, my friend Jim sent me an email with a Craigslist ad for a 1985 Mustang, T-top, 302 high output V8 engine, 5 speed transmission and positraction differential. All the goodies! The downside is that the engine had a blown head gasket. The price was real reasonable and the pictures made the car look to be in reasonable shape with some damage to the left front fender.

I was in Gig Harbor for the weekend and could not look at it, but I emailed the owner and ask some questions. He answered my questions and lowered the price without me asking! I was ready to look at it. Unfortunately by the time I could  call on Sunday, the ad was gone and the owner did not return my call. It was gone already.

So, the search continues. If anyone knows of a Mustang for sale, let me know. I am looking for a 1985 or newer, Mustang GT, preferably a 5 speed. Hopefully I will have room to stable two ponies in my driveway!

The one that got away! This would have been a good affordable project.

No comments: