Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Great Bronco Engine Transplant-Phase II- Changing The Rear Differential

Warning: This is another installment in the ongoing saga of "The Great Bronco Engine Transplant". Many posts have been published over the last two years chronicling this engineering/installation  project. Those people looking for sailing info will probably be disappointed, move along.

I have had the Bronco II running for about 7000 miles and 18 months since I replaced the original V6 with a Ford 302 V8. The Bronco was originally designed with a 7.5 inch rear differential. This was a fairly light duty differential that worked well for the type of driving I did. Serious off roaders often had issues with it.

One of the suggested changes after converting to a V8 engine, was to change the rear differential to a stronger 8.8 inch differential. So this week, I bought a 8.8 inch differential from a friend at church. His son left his 96 Explorer at the friends house and said that I could buy the rear differential. The friend and I removed it and replaced it with another axle and wheels so that it could be rolled around. It ended up being a lot of work.

Now I have to plan the installation of the 8.8 diff into the Bronco II. It is not a bolt in installation. Due to different ways of mounting, I need to install new spring perches and shock absorber mounts onto the differential. This will require welding. Since I don't weld, I need to figure out some way to get the new fittings welded on. I can always take it somewhere for finish welding, but I have to get the new parts tacked on in place first after everything is aligned. This may take some planning! I also will need to modify either the existing driveshaft or the one that came with the 8.8 differential. Kind of like taking two driveshafts to make one. And if that is not enough, there are brake lines and emergency brake cables to redesign. In addition to being a stronger differential, this one is equipped with disc brakes(instead of drum brakes) and also has limited slip gearing that will sure help in the snow.

Always something! But I think it will be nice when I have it installed.

 
The 8.8 inch differential and driveshaft from the 96 Explorer

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The blog is absolutely fantastic. Lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need. Thanks for such a continuous great postings. please visit : Engine Light On